By the time you are ready to test for your Red I Belt, you will begin to have a “style” that is all your own. Even though you have been taught the same techniques as all of the other students in the class, you will apply those techniques in a different way than each of the other students. You will no doubt have techniques and combinations that you favor over other techniques. As a result, your development will be stronger in your favored areas and become weaker in your less favorite areas. It is at this time that you must force yourself to continue to work your weak areas to make them stronger while still maintaining your own personal “style.”
The following are your requirements for promotion to Red I Belt:
- BLOCKS: In-out, out-in, spear hand jab, combination high block followed by a neck chop, double X-block (low/high and high/low), — front stances.
- Double chops (low-middle, high-middle), combination back fist followed by a reverse punch — back stand.
- Middle punch — horse stance.
- KICKS: Roundhouse kick with the ball of the foot, crescent (out-in, in-out) — front stance.
- Hook kick followed by a side kick, jump front snap using both legs, jump spinning hook kick, jump crescent, reverse kick — back stance.
- Side kick — feet together.
- ONE STEPS: Eight one steps. weapons may be used for either attacking or defending.
- FORMS: Palgue Hyungs 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. The testing board may require Hyungs 1 though 8. Be prepared!
- SPARRING: At least 3 times.