“I’m a Red Belt.” Once you are able to say those words, you are signifying to those who are listening that you are an advanced student of the martial arts. In the dojang you command the highest respect among the other students. Red belt is the first level in the advanced levels of Tang Soo Do. As a Red Belt you will not only be required to spend a great deal of time preparing yourself for future tests, but you will also be required to assist the instructor in preparing the lower belts for their future tests. Your instructor will begin to call upon you to help lead the class. As a Red Belt you are being groomed for your test for Black Belt. It is at this point in your training that you must truly work hard and prove yourself. Only the most deserving and the most dedicated students will be promoted beyond this level.
The following are your requirements for promotion to Red Belt:
- BLOCKS: Board breaking techniques. At lest four boards. Boards must be broken one after another in rapid succession. Speed is an important factor. Multiple breaks or stacked breaks are acceptable. Again, be prepared to blocking techniques required from 9th to 2nd Gup.
- KICKS: Combination front snap to roundhouse, crescent (out-in/in-out) — front stance. Reverse kick, hook kick, heel kick, combination hook kick followed by a roundhouse, spinning crescent, jumping out-in crescent, spinning hook kick, jump spinning hook kick, jump crescent, jump roundhouse — back stance.
- ONE STEPS: Six one steps. All moves must consist of self defense techniques, (get away techniques). No weapons may be used.
- SPARRING: At least 3 times (once with Sa Bom). Students will normally have several “Free” matches. In other words, you will spar more than three times.
- FORMS: Palgue Hyungs 4, 5, 6, and 7 will normally be required. However, the testing board can require Hyungs 1 though 7. So be prepared!
- ESSAY QUESTIONS: Sa Bom will assign essay questions to be turned in prior to your test date.