Years of training – practicing, sweating, bleeding, cries of frustration, cheers of triumph. All of this for one purpose: the right to test for the coveted Black Belt – the Chodan (1st degree) level. This test will signify your passing from student to expert. If you thought your journey ends at this point, then you have not learned the true essence of Tang Soo Do, for it is after you test for Chodan that your journey really begins.
The following are your requirements for promotion to Black Belt (1st Degree):
- BLOCKS: Low block, high block, In-out, Out-in, chops (low, middle high), X-blocks (low, high), spearhand jab, middle punch (horse stance), back fist reverse punch combination, double chops (low-middle, high-middle), double X-block (low-high, low-high), high block followed by a neck chop combination.
- KICKS: Front snap, side snap, round house kick, double roundhouse, reverse kick, jump front snap kick, crescent (in-out, our-in), spinning crescent, triple roundhouse kick, combination out-in crescent kick followed by a reverse kick (back stance), spinning hook kick, jump spinning hook, jump crescent, straight up side kick, jump front snap (both legs), roundhouse with the ball of the foot, combination hook kick followed by a spinning hook kick, axe kick quadruple roundhouse (low-high, low-high).
- ONE STEPS: 20 one steps: 5 take downs, 5 basic, 5 advanced 5 self defense (weapons may be used)
- FORMS: Palgue Hyungs 1 through 8, Bassai, Free form (weapons may be used)
- BOARD BREAKING: Will consist of multiple breaks (instructor will assign breaks – 6 boards)
- SPARRING: Unlimited (Instructor’s discretion).
- ESSAY QUESTIONS: Sa Bom will assign essay questions to be turned in prior to your test date Overall attitude and initiative towards the whole program will be counted plus leadership abilities.